Monday, April 07, 2008

The Joy of Learning


I don't know what's going on, but it seems like there were a lot of people at a conference last week - like Dr. Val, Fat Doctor, and The Happy Hospitalist. Of course, I'm jealous. I guess I really should schedule some out of town time at some point soon.

Anyway, I've also taken up educating myself a little bit. But, this is a little out of necessity. My board certification in Family Medicine is up this year, and I have to take my recertification exam in a few months. In fact, I just scheduled the date for July 25th. (Maybe I should get one of those countdown clocks for my sidebar).

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not the biggest fan of standardized tests. Even going back to the ACT, SAT, MCAT, USMLE, etc - I have this mental block and anxiety going into these exams and preparing for these exams. So, I'm in the midst of board exam preparation over the next few weeks.

Dr. Val and I talked about this on the latest edition of The Doctor Anonymous Show last week (about 10 min into the show). The problem is not learning and re-learning the stuff. It's how much can you remember and retain for the exam. There is also these test taking techniques that I have to re-learn as well. The knowledge is up there, it's just how to access it - especially when the heart is racing and the forehead is sweating. Only 108 days now - Yeesh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These standardized tests are more about specific factoids that the test writers like than an actual analysis of your clinical skills. Spend your time memorizing the right things and you'll be just fine! ;)

Your anxious blog buddy, Val.

Mimi Lenox said...

I'm not a fan of standardized tests either. Breezin' by to say hello...

Dreaming again said...

Guess I'm going back to do some learnin ... lots of it!! *gulp*